Recovering deleted pictures from an XD card can be a tricky process. Sometimes it can easily be done with recovery software, sometimes it needs to be sent to a professional, and sometimes pictures cannot be recovered at all. The details of the steps will vary based upon the software one uses to perform the recovery, but the general process is the same.
Install the preferred file recovery software on your computer. Ensure the installation process is complete (restart the computer, if needed) before continuing.
Connect the XD card to the computer. Wait for the computer to recognize the card, and, if necessary, assign it a drive letter.
Open the recovery software. Point the software to the drive letter associated with the XD card, then follow any of the software's remaining recovery instructions. Be patient; this kind of recovery can take time.
Save the recovered files to the computer's hard drive. If the software is try-and-buy, purchase the software to complete the recovery, then save the recovered photos to your hard drive.
- Rather than purchase an unknown piece of software that may, in the end, not work, search through the Internet for legitimate, well-known data recovery companies. These companies, such as CBL Data Recovery Technologies and LC Technologies, often offer trial uses of their software and will only charge the user if the data recovery is successful.
- Always keep a backup copy of any important files or photos. One copy on your main hard drive and one copy somewhere else--such as a USB drive or an external hard drive--ensures that, if one copy gets accidentally deleted, another still exists.
- If a deleted photo gets overwritten--that is, if another file is saved in the same physical space on the XD card as the deleted file--the deleted file may not be recoverable. Sometimes overwritten photos can be recovered, but most often, they are fragmented or distorted.
- If you are not comfortable with running recovery software, or if the pictures are of high significance, contact a professional data recovery service. Most of the reputable companies will not charge for their services unless the data recovery is successful.
- Tim Margeson, Technician; CBL Data Recovery Technologies, Inc; Armonk, NY.