There are two ways to choose e-book genres for your Kindle. Both methods are simple and convenient. The first way is to browse the Amazon website from your computer. The other is to browse directly from your Kindle device.
Choose Genres From Your Computer
Navigate to the Amazon website. Under Shop by Department, select "Kindle" and the subcategory "Kindle Books."
Select a genre under the Categories heading on the left side of the page.
For more refined results, select a sub-category from the new list on the left side of the page.
Scroll down the page to browse the resulting titles. If there are more results than what are shown, click the side-scroll arrows to view more suggested results. Otherwise, click "See more" to view all results.
Click a title that interests you. Purchase the book by clicking the "1-Click" button, or go back to the results and browse some more.
Choose Genres From Your Kindle
Press the Menu button on your Kindle and select "Shop" in the Kindle Store.
Under the Browse heading, select "Books."
Select a genre from the list of categories displayed.
For more refined results, move your cursor over to the right of the screen and select "View Subcategories within." Do this until there are no more subcategory screens.
Select a book that interests you and select "Buy," "Borrow," "Try a Sample" or "Add to Wish List."
To browse another genre or to broaden your results, press the "Back" button on your Kindle, or bring your cursor to the top of the page and navigate backward.
- When browsing genres on the Amazon website from your computer, be sure to select Kindle first or your results will include physical books, audio books and many books that are not available for Kindle.
- After you have finished reading a book in your favorite genre, continue to page through to the end. Sometimes Kindle offers a list of recommended books of the same genre.
- If you are not sure whether you will like a particular book, you can download a sample for free. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can borrow a full book for free each month.
- Kindle uses the 1-Click payment feature when shopping directly from your device, which means there are no "Are you sure?" messages, passwords or verification processes prior to purchase. Therefore, be careful with each click so you don't accidentally buy a book you don't want. If you do, Kindle has a nice "accidental purchase" option to rectify the mistake.
- David McNew/Getty Images News/Getty Images